Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Justice for Alex Sanchez?

I went to my first bail hearing the other day. What drew me to this one is that I know the man charged with multiple serious counts, including conspiracy to commit murder. I don't believe the charges for a second. I have a letter on file with court expressing this opinion and my understanding of the character of this man.

The man accused is a former gang member, yes. His name is Alex Sanchez. But, I've know him as a gang intervention worker and community advocate and supporter for over 10 years. He has been the Executive Director of Homies Unidos since I've known him, and he's fought to stay in this country for years, even going so far as to apply for political asylum from his native El Salvador - which he was granted after a long fight.

Based on how the police scandals broke around LA a number of years back and the people involved...I have come to believe that this case is about retaliation at worse, and misunderstanding and competing viewpoints at best.

My father was a police officer. As a fairly mainstream sort of person when it comes to law enforcement, I don't immediately assume the criminal justice system is always unjust. This case is one of those, however, where even staunch supporters of the system should rightly question the judge in this case...and keep their eyes wide open and focused on how this unfolds.

Here's how this began: Judge Real in Alex Sanchez Case is Surreal This is a post written by former California State Senator, Tom Hayden, and published by The Nation about the first bail hearing, to which I WAS NOT present.

Here's what happened a bit later: Victory for Alex Sanchez Appeal, But... A follow up regarding a rebuke by the 9th circuit court...a hopeful development.

Here's where things stand now: The Judge Gets Real, But Why? A post describing the second bail hearing, to which is WAS present. This pretty much sums it up.

The real question is, what is going to happen next? Having sat in that courtroom, hearing the evidence presented, it makes no logical sense to me how Alex can be denied bail. I know I'm just one person...and that's why I hope many additional eyes will start to follow this with me.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Shelly,
    Hello, there, Shelly! I, too, want to provide my eyes as additional eyes to follow the case of these horrible injustices against Alex Sanchez. He is a wonderful person, a very brave man who has put his life together and who has done such good in his compassionate work to bring peace through gang intervention and mediation, and I think who would know better than Alex what to do because he has the prior long ago experience of being a gang member. Alex Sanchez has made something so whole and good of his life, and truly is a lifesaving interventionist and peace maker and leader. I am so angry that he is thought of as a throw away person by the powers that be because he is from El Salvador, and an ex-gang member in his distant past, but this maltreatment toward him is proof positive of racism, classism, and discrimination at work against this just and virtuous man.
    I plan on making a definite commitment to follow this case against this courageous man, and to keep informed on all that happens here. I will for sure keep this blessed and remarkable man in my frequent thoughts and prayers. He is a marvelous individual as a very progressive man, and he deserves so much better!
    Shelly, thank-you so much for sharing on Alex. The more additional eyes following his case, the better. I am still filled with eager anticipation waiting for your 2nd Edition of Witnessing Whiteness to come out, and in fact I will buy it immediately as soon as it is released! I thoroughly look forward to reading and studying this fantastic 2nd Edition,Shelly! Blessings so much to you, Shelly! I appreciate very much and so immensely all of the hard work and the advocacy which you for always do!
    Sincerely always,
    Sherry Gordon

    ReplyDelete