Sunday, January 17, 2010

Witnessing - Second Edition and Workshop Series

Announcing two new resources to support diversity and racial justice initiatives. More information at www.witnessingwhiteness.com

Just Released - WITNESSING WHITENESS: THE NEED TO TALK ABOUT RACE AND HOW TO DO IT, 2nd edition, by Shelly Tochluk

This new edition, revised for a general audience, offers a comprehensive look at why white people need to pay attention to race, what we will see when we look closely, and how to respond. Written in an easy-to-read style, the book describes how to develop an anti-racist white identity. Perfect as a first introduction to issues of white privilege, this book also includes practical suggestions for the creation of an effective and sustainable anti-racist practice.


New Resource - WITNESSING WHITENESS: COMPANION WORKSHOP SERIES

An 11-part workshop series aligned with the book is now available for multiracial or race-caucused groups interested in exploring their relationship to race and privilege. Detailed, chapter-by-chapter agendas allow local facilitation teams at schools, organizations, or businesses to augment their leadership capacity as they lead book groups through 2 1/2 to 3 hour workshop sessions.

Topics include:
• Why Pay Attention to Race?
• Culture, Tradition, and Appropriation
• Authentic Relationships
• History of White Anti-racism
• Racial Identity
• Privilege and Multiple Social Identities
• Transformative Relationships
• Racial Scripts
• Self-Evaluation and Goal Setting
• Cultural Change
• Group Goal Setting

Workshop agendas and resource documents required to implement the series are available at no charge for download at www.witnessingwhiteness.com. Also, visit the website for more information regarding the workshop series’ development, book orders, and author’s contact information.

2 comments:

  1. Dear Shelly,
    Hello, there, Shelly! I am so excited, your marvelous 2nd Edition of Witnessing Whiteness will arrive today for me here where I live in Iowa City, Iowa via UPS. I am truly looking forward to reading it! It will be a very worthwhile experience still reading this great 2nd Edition even if some of the info is not new and reviews some of the previous material in the 1st Edition. I will still gain great insights and benefits from the previous material reappearing in the 2nd Edition somehow, and from what new material and info is in the 2nd Edition. This wonderful 2nd Edition is going to be a great read! I want to learn as much as possible about white folks dealing with these pertinent issues and developing a positive Radical White Identity as they deal with racism and white privilege so that I can support and validate, understand in love, and be a helpful sisterfriend to the white women who are my dear and close friends and sisters in spirit in my life. Shelly, this book will be a wonderful learning experience for me, and also facilitate even more my own process in recognizing and acknowledging the very humanity of white people!

    Shelly, thank-you, thank-you so, so much for all of your witnessing and for all that you do, and for all of your advocacy! Blessings so, so much to you for always!

    Sincerely always,
    Sherry Gordon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Shelly,
    Hello, there, Shelly! I read very eagerly this great 2nd Edition of Witnessing Whiteness, and I am so excited about it that I read through it right away. It is excellent, Shelly! I learned immensely and benefited from new concepts in this marvelous 2nd Edition, and along with the progressively educational Companion Workshop Series this 2nd Edition is a perfect fit to the series and complements the series in a highly productive manner. I like how the 2nd Edition refocused on and reworked many familiar themes and ideas from the 1st Edition. This 2nd Edition is a very worthwhile and beneficial read! Great work, Shelly!

    I have been talking to my dearest white women sisterfriends about you and your wonderful books, materials, website and the blog, and of all of your efficient advocacy and the great good that you do so much, Shelly. As I looked through the Companion Workshop Series materials, I think it would be good for me to be involved in a multicultural companion workshop series, and how great it would be for my white sisterfriends to be in a race-caused group, as well a multicultural group. I truly do understand how important and vital it is for white folks to come together among themselves as beloved community to feel safe expressing themselves as they take the steps to heal from racism and to deal with white privilege in seeking their own Radical White Identity. As I have read through the superb books you have written, Shelly, and go through the workshop materials, these fine resources help me to better understand my white sisters, and their special and unique process, in order for me to be a support to them and to validate and encourage them in their process and journey.

    Thank-you, thank-you so, so much for all of your witnessing whiteness and advocacy, and for all that you do as you work so hard! I truly appreciate all of your diligent work and your efforts, which are very real to me as I have read your books and studied your other materials. Blessings so, so much to you for always, Shelly!

    Sincerely always,

    Sherry Gordon

    ReplyDelete